The museum

History

The Marie Tak van Poortvliet Museum Domburg takes its name from the art collector, anthroposophist and agricultural pioneer Marie Tak van Poortvliet (1871-1936), who in the early twentieth century had a villa built in Domburg and spent many summers there in the company of the painter Jacoba van Heemskerck (1876-1923).

The Museum is a copy of the Exhibition Hall which was wrecked by wind and storms in 1921 and stood diagonally across from the Badpaviljoen. In 1994, the Marie Tak van Poortvliet Museum opened its doors at the current location.

Seaside resorts seem naturally to attract artists. In Domburg this attraction was enhanced by the unsophisticated beauty of the surroundings, the special light along the coast and its reflection over the land of Walcheren. The whimsically shaped dune landscape, the always different-looking sea and the old forests that surround the village centre have inspired many poets, composers and writers, but also – and above all – painters. Around the turn of the last century, when the artist Jan Toorop (1858-1928) for the first time came to Domburg, people already began to talk about a ‘bathing season’ and an established ‘bath culture’.

Toorop and Mondriaan

Board & Organization

Board

  • Arnold van Houtum, president
  • Marcelle Immink, vice president
  • Jan Kaland, treasurer
  • Eveline Cleiren, secretary
  • Engeline Molkenboer, co-ordination volunteers
  • Lein Labruijère, member

Curator

  • Francisca van Vloten, curator and policy advisor

IBAN NL04 RABO 0146 5198 41
KvK Middelburg 114817

Maintenance Commission

  • Jaap Bimmel
  • Hans Jansen

Education Commission

  • Marcelle Immink

Photography Commission

  • Adri van de Velde

Everyone who works in our museum is a volunteer. If you also would like to work with us as a volunteer, please contact us.